Saturday 19 November 2011

Forever remembered, unthando olungapheliyo, Forever inspired.

I cannot believe it is my last full day in South Africa. It seems like only yesterday I was crying in the Airport to my dad because I was so nervous to leave. Now here I sit 6 weeks in, and I am flying home tomorrow. I have truly learned so much from this adventure of mine. I have met so many wonderful students and have met some amazing friends. Now I have to go back to real life and I am really not ready. These children have just touched my soul so much that I am so sad to leave.
When I had to say my good byes on Friday I was so torn. When I had 5 minutes of the day left I just started to cry. The class I was with some hugged me good bye and Sofia and Roddy tried to make me stop crying but it was too late, I am not ready to leave these kids and my emotions got the best of me. One of the students went up to Claire and asked why I was crying. They do not know how much joy they have brought my heart just by being with them.
One of my grade 6 boy’s and I were talking on Friday, we talked about how exams are going and why I am going home. Then I asked him about is he excited for grade 7. He looked at me and said “ Teacher next year I am going to study so much, so I will not fail. I will not be a failure I want to make it to high school.” When I heard that I almost broke down. I was so very proud of him at that moment because you could see how much making it to high school meant to him.
Then the little girl I have been with every break and been with after school, my dear friend Bopananpng when I had to say good bye to her it was so hard. It will be hard for me to not have her lovely face to brighten up my days anymore.
It is still not sinking in that tomorrow I will be on a plane home, I am really not ready to leave. I thought I was but I am not. In these past 6 weeks I feel like I have grown so much and that I learned so much about life and what is taken for granted and what I can do to make a difference in someone’s life.
I will never forget my time here, and I will keep what I have learned to inspire me to make a positive difference in my life.
Forever remembered, unthando olungapheliyo, Forever inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment