Thursday 20 October 2011

ACJ

So its my first day sick in South Africa, but at least I am feeling better after watching Lord of the Rings all day and resting and getting caught up on a few things. I am also missing my first camera day with the kids which is upsetting me a bit. I also feel bad for not being there to teach the kids.
Yesterday we ran Soccer games all day and it was amazing! I lost my voice but the kids actually listened better to me, I thought I might just fake not having a voice every day. The kids were just so enthusiastic yesterday they were all so excited over the games. The games I was reffing went so smoothly and I got a few of the teachers involved.  Until the sky’s opened up and it started to pour! We had to do one of our classes inside, so we played a sports/healthy living who wants to be a millionaire. It was a blast the kids did so well and the teacher was very interactive. The kids got all the questions right then all the sudden they all starting chanting 100% and there was a bunch of girls who danced and there was people banging the desk like drums. The funniest past is the teacher was the one who encouraged it! Shows how much dance and music run through all these kids.
It stopped raining and we went outside to host the after school sports, it was soccer so Ebonie and I went outside. There was no children, a school which is never quiet was deserted. The teachers let the kids leave early again. There was a few boys who were still there and we started playing pass. They were laughing at my non soccer skills. We got enough kids to play 5 vs 4, but then the boys asked me to play. So we played for a bit and a few other boys showed up so the game turned out to be amazing. There is no need to reff because the boys lived soccer you could just see it in the way they played. They ran everything by themselves basically, I just had to make sure they did not switch teams.
These children have such a grasp on me already, makes me not want to leave in a month. I wish I could stay longer and hopefully I will be able to come back some day. I know though I need to go back and finish my studies and come back when I have a good start on my future again. But being with these children make me think about my old dream of becoming a physical education teacher. Im doing a lot of soul searching out here and Its turning out pretty successful so far.

I will write more of my weekends and after school social life one I catch up in my journal. Only can do one passage at a time.
Love & Rocket Ships

1 comment: